Supported Internships at Andover College
The supported internship is a course for students with an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) who have completed their chosen course at college and would like support with preparing for moving onto employment and further independence.
We offer a fantastic choice of Internships sustained by local business links and we will be here to support and guide you through the process from start to finish.
How a Supported Internship could benefit you:
- Begin taking your next steps into employment within a supported environment
- Further your independance
- Increase your confidence as you develop your skills
- Develop your communication, team work and problem-solving skills
- See how a business operates in the real world
- Identify key technical and social skills necessary for work
- Line up a reference and potentially a job for the future
How a Supported Intern could benefit your business:
- You add extra resources to your day-to-day business operations
- You enable existing staff to develop management skills while supervising a student
- You inspire and support the next generation of workers in your industry
- You access a potential future workforce
- You address a current and future skill shortages in your industry
- You strengthen your recruitment pipeline and increase people-diversity
- The programme is based on the Preparing for Adulthood Agenda and allows students to gain skills and experience in a long-term work placement, as well as having time to work on other personal skills they may need. These may be job specific or general employability skills such as driving theory support or English and Maths qualifications and improving IT knowledge.
- The supported internship is a course for students with an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) who have completed their chosen course at college and would like support with preparing for moving onto employment and further independence.
- Get in touch with the Foundation Learning team to log your interest
- Ensure you have a safe and healthy workplace to support a quality work placement
- Identify suitable staff to supervise and support the student/s
- Think about a work plan that a student could be involved in with you
Hear from Louise Makepeace, Matron at The Andover Nursing Home currently supporting our student, Phoebe:
Hear from Kelly, owner of Canto Gelato, currently supporting our student, Will:
- Tell us all about yourself, your ambitions and a sector you are interested in working in
- Meet with the Foundation Learning Team – to help prepare you for your Internship and start to work on identifying the right employer
- Commit to your new role as an Intern
Hear directly from our student Phoebe, all about the Supported Internship Programme:
- Guide you through the whole process, from start to finish
- Match the student with the right employer
- Ensure the student is work-ready (work ethic/etiquette)
- Ensure the workplace is safe and welcoming
- Visit you in the workplace to monitor skills and progression
Looking for more information?
Visit our Open Days or speak to our friendly Foundation Learning team: