Industry Placements at Andover College
Industry Placements give our students practical experience directly relating to their Technical or Vocational qualification, playing a key role in developing students technical and employability skills.
We offer a fantastic choice of Industry placements and we will be here to support and guide you through the process from start to finish.
How industry placements benefit you:
- You can apply the knowledge you learn at college in the workplace
- You increase your confidence as you develop your skills
- You develop your communication, team work and problem-solving skills
- You see how a business operates in the real world
- You can identify key technical strengths and skills you will need at work
- You have a chance to test your career choices
- You can line up a reference for future use
How industry placements benefit your business:
- You add extra resources to your day-to-day business operations
- You enable existing staff to develop management skills while supervising a student
- You inject fresh ideas and practice from students who are currently training in the industry
- You inspire and support the next generation of workers in your industry
- You access a potential future workforce
- You address a current and future skill shortages in your industry
- You strengthen your recruitment pipeline and increase people-diversity
- A minimum of 350 hours to be completed in a industry relevant placement throughout the academic year.
- The industry placement will be included in your college timetable, however, extra hours can be completed outside of term time.
- Our industry placement team will be on hand to guide you throughout the whole process.
- As part of this they will ensure the placement is suitable for you and will make sure all checks are completed before you start.
- Throughout your placement you will be set targets to work towards and you will get regular visits from our industry placement team to ensure that you are making progress and are receiving the support you need.
- At the end of the placement you will receive a certificate from the college as well as a reference from the employer.
- Full-time students on Qualifying Technical or Vocational courses at Level 2 or 3.
- This applies to 16-18 year old students and 19-24 year old students who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
- Get in touch with the Industry Placement Team to log your interest
- Ensure you have a safe and healthy workplace to support a quality work placement
- Identify suitable staff to supervise students on placement
- Think about a work plan that a student could be involved in with you
- Tell us all about yourself (we’ll give you a template to use)
- Meet with the Industry Placement Team – to prepare you for your Industry placement and start to work on identifying the right employer
- Commit to completing the Industry Placement hours
- Guide you through the whole process, from start to finish
- Match the student with the right employer
- Ensure the student is work-ready (work ethic/etiquette)
- Ensure the workplace is safe and welcoming
- Support you with completion of work placement documentation
- Visit you in the workplace to monitor skills and progression
- Details provided on Industry Placements requirements
- Workplace health and safety arrangement reviewed
- The right student matched with the right employer
- A suitable industry work placement venue start date agreed
- Industry placement commences
- Placement visited to ensure the student has developed the right skills
- On successful completion, an employer reference and certificate will be sent to the student
Looking for more information?
Visit our Open Days or speak to our friendly Industry Placements team:
Call 01962 797415
We also offer Industry Placements at our sister campus, Sparsholt College.