What will I learn?
We have two workshops, with individual workstations/benches for you to develop your practical skills. You will learn how to carry out basic carpentry skills including woodworking joints and the use of hand and power tools. Health and safety is an important area and during your first few weeks you will be learning the importance of the need to carry out safe working practices at all times.
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Knowledge of technical information, quantities and communication with others
- Knowledge of construction technology
- Produce woodworking joints
- Maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
GCSEs at D to E/3–2 (plus a favourable report from school).
How will I be assessed?
Coursework and final assessment.
Level 2 Apprenticeship in Site Carpentry or Bench Joiner or straight into employment.
You will also get involved with charity fundraising activities with local and national employers and voluntary organisations which provide community skills valued by employers.