*Between the 29th of June and 12th of July first year A Level students will need to undertake work experience.
What will I learn?
Throughout the duration of the course you will study the animation production process and 2D and 3D software skills in our Digital Media Suite.
You’ll explore visualisation, character, narrative and sequential thinking, plus animation processes, software and associated technologies including having access to a range of enrichment workshops. You’ll consider the practical, conceptual and theoretical concerns of animation and develop an awareness of the opportunities and pathways open to you as an animator. These will include, drawing, story boarding and photographic skills.
This will culminate in a collection of coursework (practical and contextual work with gradual progression towards individual ways of working). Coursework is developed through personal research and first-hand experience as well as selected secondary source materials. This assessment takes place in year one.
In year two you will complete a personal investigation and an externally set assignment (exam):
- Personal investigation – this is an in-depth critical, practical and theoretical investigative project based on themes and subject matter that have personal significance. It is supported by a written element of 1000 words to underpin the practical project
- Externally set assignment – using a series of visual and written stimuli presented by the exam board, you will provide a personal response in terms of a practical project within a 15-hour period of time supported by preparatory work
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs at A* to C/9-4 (including a C/4 or above in English and a creative subject and a portfolio of Art and Design work).
BTEC Level 2 qualifications considered in subject related courses
Animation is a subject related to or complemented by subjects such as:
- 3D Design
- Fine Art and Contemporary Practice
- Graphic Design
- Creative Media Production
- Computer Science
Where will it lead me?
- Higher Education
- Pre-degree Foundation Diploma in Art and Design offered at Andover College, rated Outstanding by Ofsted